This time of year is when I start craving chili. Nothing like a bowl of chili to add warmth and comfort to your cold days or nights. What I really love is adding fritos, cheese, red-onions, sour-cream, and cilantro to my chili. Having spent my summers with my Dad while growing-up, I was brought up eating frito pie. However, fritos are not the healthiest choice of foods, so I’ve started skipping the fritos, instead adding some crumbled baked tortilla chips. Not the same, but still just as delicious.
When loading up on toppings, I like to keep my chili simple, not overpowering with spice or smokiness, so that the flavors complement one another. I also prefer to mix beans by using red kidney beans as well as white kidney beans. The white kidney beans are soft and creamy and add a great texture and flavor to the chili. For my beef, I used grass-fed as well as organic beans and chili powder.
On Halloween, I made this Simple Chili Con Carne, took it to work and served it out of my crock pot for lunch. I set out all of the toppings too. It was my treat to those who work with me.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef, 90% lean
- 2 tablespoons organic chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 2 (15 ounce ) can white kidney beans
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil and saute onions until translucent. Add minced garlic and continue to salute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground beef and cook until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Drain any fat that has separated from the meat. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and bay leaves, tomatoes with juice, and juice from beans. Do not add the beans just yet. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to a simmer , cover and cook for one hour. Taste and add seasoning as needed.
- Add beans and heat through, approximately 20 minutes.
- Add toppings :
- Grated cheese
- Chopped red onion
- Greek yogurt (replacement for sour cream)
- Chopped cilantro
- Crumbled baked crumbled tortilla chips