This is a quickie! What I mean by “quickie” is that this post is a short one, due to this week’s hectic schedule, plus these healthy chicken tinge mini tostadas are really quick to make.
Tinga is a flavor from Mexico, consisting of a spicy, smoky flavor from chipotle peppers. These tostadas are great served as appetizers or as a main dish. Perfect for next Sunday’s Super Bowl and can easily be made ahead of time and assembled when ready to serve. The filling can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Top these adorable tostadas however you like. I made some quick guacamole and pico de gallo, but you can add shredded lettuce and some cotija cheese, or even feta. Don’t want tostadas? Then heat up the tortillas for great tasting soft mini tacos!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 16 mini 3" corn tortillas
- Organic canola or olive oil cooking spray
- Shredded lettuce, Cotija cheese, guacamole, or pico de gallo for topping.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot, add chicken, half of the chopped onion, garlic, and enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover with a lid.
- Simmer chicken for about 20 - 25 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and can be easily shredded with a fork. Remove chicken (save the poaching water), cool slightly, and shred the meat. Set aside.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan with the poaching liquid, and bring to a boil. Cook until the skins start to burst, approximately 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil and the remaining onion; sauté until translucent. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, add the poached tomatoes and chipotle peppers. Puree until smooth. Add pureed mixture to the pan with the sautéed onions. Add the shredded chicken; heat through.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, and place the tortillas. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until tortillas are crisp. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To serve, spoon chicken on each tortilla and top with your favorite toppings.