Stop! You must try this salad before you make your final decision on the salad which you will be serving for your holiday dinner. Because once you try this salad…you are going to change your mind. I’ve tried brussels sprouts salads before and to be honest, they didn’t thrill me as much as kale salads did. Tonight, I made this salad and my hubby was so happy to try a new salad that he liked a lot. In fact, he thanked me over and over. Surprisingly, even my stepdaughters tried it and they liked it too.
I purchased a couple of bags of shaved Brussels sprouts from Trader Joes, not knowing what to use them for, I opted for this salad, which I found on The Divine Addiction and adapted slightly. Don’t feel the need to go searching for packages of brussels sprouts from Trader Joes. Simply use a food processor or mandolin to shave the brussels sprouts.
For the vinaigrette, I use a small mason jar, pour in the ingredients and shake it up. This salad makes the perfect side for this holiday season.
To be truthful, for me it is the shaved Parmesan cheese combined with the brussels sprouts that excite my taste buds. Oh yeah – and the champagne vinaigrette is pretty amazing too. Maybe you are saying “absolutely not” to brussels sprouts…if you are, then go ahead and use arugula instead. Everything about this salad is wonderful, from the shaved brussels sprouts, to the crunchy almonds, shaved Parmesan, and the crisp pomegranate seeds.
What is your favorite way to eat brussels sprouts?
- 1 ½ -2 lbs Brussels Sprouts, shaved as directed below
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan (reserve some for garnish)
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- To shave the sprouts, add brussels sprout halves into a food processor and pulse until they were shaved down size you want, or use a mandolin slicer.
- In a large bowl, add the brussels sprouts, shaved parmesan, almonds, and pomegranate seeds into a bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Toss very lightly with the vinaigrette – don’t over dress as it is OK to have dressing left over. Top with the remaining Parmesan, and enjoy!
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Champagne Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Agave
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add ingredients to a mason jar, close the lid and shake!