Several months ago, I received a package in the mail. Not out of the ordinary, since I order on-line all the time –mostly cookbooks to suffice my cookbook addiction. Anyway, I opened it and here was this beautiful Taste of Home 2014 Holiday & Celebrations cookbook. The only problem was… I didn’t order this cookbook. I took a further look and found a letter. It was a letter congratulating me that my recipe had been published in this cookbook and I was receiving my free contributor copy. Being overly thrilled with excitement, I started shaking while searching through the book for my recipe. I had no recollection of what recipe of mine could have been published. There it was on page 162, my recipe for Chilled Avocado Soup Appetizers with Crab. Happy, happy, happy!
Since this recipe isn’t on my blog, I decided to make it once again and share it with you. Instead of serving the Chilled Avocado Soup Appetizers as a soup, I decided to pour them in shot glasses and turn them into shooters. I did about 3 shots – I know, I’m such a lush LOL!
This soup is so easy to make. It is all done in a blender. Once you blend up all of those healthy ingredients, such as vegetable stock, avocados, Greek yogurt, and an apple, simply pour it into a pitcher and chill. This is a perfect appetizer for any occasion.
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock ( I use vegetable)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt ( I use Greek yogurt)
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅔ cup creme fraiche or sour cream ( I add to a squirt bottle and shake)
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, drained
- Minced fresh cilantro and lime slices
- Place first eight ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a pitcher; refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- To serve, pour soup into shot glasses; top with creme fraiche, crab, cilantro and lime slices.