Honestly, I grew up disliking beets. To me, they tasted like dirt. But I had only tasted those canned beets. Several years ago, I finally gave beets a try. They were real beets, marinated in vinaigrette and topped with feta cheese. A newfound love with beets bloomed. This red beet quinoa and feta brings back the original flavor of beets that forever changed me.
Luckily, we no longer need to rely on a can of beets, or roast our own. They are now available pre-cooked and vacuumed sealed. A package can always be found in my refrigerator. Never would have guessed that a few years back.
Allowing beets to marinate in vinaigrette of red wine vinegar, lemon juice, splash of olive oil, sea salt, and shallots develops a tantalizing tangy flavor carried through out the salad.
Red beet quinoa and feta is one of those salads that can be made ahead of time. It is perfect for serving as a side dish for the holidays and can be topped with a variety of ingredients, such as toasted slice almonds, walnuts, dried cherries, a variety of herbs, or goat cheese. Please your palette with the topping of your choice.
- 1 - 8 ounce package pre-cooked red beets
- 1½ cups red quinoa, cooked
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- drizzle of olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Freshly chopped chives or herbs (optional)
- Coarsely chop beets and place in a small bowl. Season beets with salt and drizzle with olive oil. Add shallots, vinegar and lemon juice. Allow beets to marinate for 30 minutes or overnight in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, rinse and cook red quinoa as directed on package.
- In a large bowl, add marinated red beets, 1½ cups quinoa, and approximately ½ tablespoon chives. Mix to combine. Top with feta prior to serving.