She’s always been there for me
Just talking to her can make me happy
She tells me of the hard times she’s been through
In hopes that I won’t go through them too
She’s an independent woman of stature and grace
She has beautiful eyes and a lovely face
An audacious strength from deep inside
In her I know I can confide
She’s my guardian angel who’ll always be
A very special part of me
She takes pride in caring for her kin
She gives us hope and things to believe in
If I didn’t have her there for me
I wouldn’t be half the woman I turned out to be
I Love You Mom – ‘Sharlynn N. Manning’
This dark cherry buttermilk cake is perfect to serve on Mother’s Day. It contains less sugar and butter than most cakes, keeping it on the healthier side. And we want to keep those we love healthy. Not only is this cake a healthier choice, but it is so easy to make. Simply mix up your cake batter, then top the batter off with frozen organic dark cherries and a sprinkling of raw sugar. The cherries will sink into the cake while baking. This cake is so simple, elegant, and delicious.
Both my mom and I are tea drinkers, so I enjoyed my slice of cake with a cup of tea vivre tea. I can’t wait to share this cake with my Mom. She is going to love it.
I love you Mom!
- Organic canola oil cooking spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 2 cups frozen organic dark cherries, do not thaw
- Powdered sugar for serving
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat ½ cup sugar with butter until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients.
- Add buttermilk slowly, combine until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter in prepared cake pan and arrange frozen cherries on top of batter.
- Sprinkle cherries with raw sugar (you can use regular sugar too) and bake for 20 minutes until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes and invert cake onto plate.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.