Sometimes you need a comfort dish that you can be made quickly. “Hurry Up” Spaghetti is just that dish and is perfect for a meatless Monday.
“Hurry Up” Spaghetti is a knock-off of pasta carbonara, but without the meat. The eggs add creaminess to the pasta. If you are not worried about calories, then try this dish with ½ cup of organic heavy cream instead of the eggs– yum! Hey, you could even add some crispy pancetta or bacon if you do want the meat.
What makes this dish healthy? Well, I used whole-grain pasta but feel free to use gluten-free, organic tomatoes, fresh arugula, and a combination of whole eggs and egg whites, keep the calories low.
My daughter, Jade (pictured above), stayed the weekend with me and I made us this “Hurry Up” Spaghetti. It was so easy and quick, filled us up, plus we ate leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 8 ounces gluten-free or whole-grain pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 5-ounce bag arugula
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1-cup organic grape tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 whole eggs plus 4 egg whites, well beaten or ½ cup organic heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil plus extra for garnish
- Cook pasta al-dente according to package. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil; add red pepper flakes and arugula, sauté until arugula starts to wilt.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, salt, and pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
- Toss in pasta and stir until heated through. Immediately add beaten eggs (or cream) to the hot pasta and toss until set. If pasta is dry, add a little of the pasta water until desired consistency is reached. Remove from heat.
- Add Parmesan cheese and basil, tossing well.